When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Loot Karma

I'm fairly sure I was bitten in the ass by the Loot Whore last night (a close relative of the Karma fairy). I have now, finally, for sure, accumulated enough Arena points for my Merciless Gladiator's Gavel. Last night on a guild ZA pug, we clear the Eagle boss and the Amani Punisher drops. I have been lusting after this weapon since it came out, and I've posted numerous times on my guild's forums loudly declaring how this was a major upgrade for me. Versus the gavel, I would be trading 8 spell damage and 18 resilience for 3 stamina, 3 intellect, and 5 spell hit rating. Plus the Punisher looks snazzy, the Gavel looks like a marshmellow on a stick. Other than that, they're arguably functionally equivalent, and I was quite happy that I wouldn't have to spend the arena points. Everyone in the raid congratulated me, and I was preparing to loot the item when our Boomkin pipes up that she's interested in it as well. Naturally, I roll a 12 and the boomkin loots the mace. QQ. She has an epic staff already. QQ. It sits in her bag because it's not enchanted and she left her off-hand frill in the bank. QQ.

At this point, I am furious, and so I start chain pulling mobs. We clear to the bear boss, at which point I comment to the boomkin about how she hasn't equipped the mace.

"Coristad you sound so bitter."
"Yeah, I'm really pissed about that roll, but I'm trying to get over it and not be a douche."
"Well, you get an 'A' for effort."

We laughed, because I was getting an "F" for performance.

After that, the weight lifted from my shoulders and I was able to relax and focus on the instance again.

In retrospect, the Loot Fairy was extracting her dues from the 2 Nether Vortexes I ninja-rolled from one of the guild's Prot warriors who has been trying for weeks to upgrade his sword.


I suppose you could make the case that I didn't need it, as I'm getting my upgrade, as scheduled, on Tuesday. However, that was the first time I had really lost my shit over a loot roll in 2 years of raiding. I'm just glad I was able to get through it in about 10 minutes, as opposed to letting it eat at me for hours/days/weeks.

Grats Cell, now equip the damn thing. ;-)

No comments: